My general modelling ramblings and some photos of aeroplanes and mates...

Monday 5 October 2009

BMFA League F3F @ Tinkers, Huddersfield

What a build up! I went off to Tinkers for a bit of a practice last thing Friday and man oh man it was wild. Loads of wind, turbulence and fear! Still "Rocket" Ronnie Lampe was there to give me a couple of pointers to help keep the model in one piece and thankfully that's what happened.

The EPP boys were sadly blown off the hill on Saturday with winds gusting up to 110mph, so Saturday was spent wondering with some trepidation what our F3F day would bring on Sunday. As it turned out, it was hardly excessive, and with the features of the hill, and the conditions, made for a very technical comp which rewarded those able to find the compression zone very near to the slope edge. Simon Thornton put in a masterclass of the right balance of controlled aggression and flying skill to win yet another round. Greg Dakin was just unreal to watch as usual, and the Knewt was on form as ever, despite his day being slightly blighted by stepping in a very generous cow pat.

Richard Bago was up there again - he just quietly keeps on getting up there does our Rich, with some excellent flying to take third spot. Nice to see you back from overseas mate!

At this point, despite only coming in 22nd, I'll have to give myself an honourable mention, given that I made buzzerman Frank Hulton dive for cover on Base B with a "bit" of a safety line violation. I'm taking this as a good sign that I'm occasionally finding the courage to fly a little closer to the edge!

Well done to my flying buddies Adam and George - Adam for leaving me choking on his dust yet again by recording an excellent 9th despite my beating him in the first two rounds (false dawn there!), and George for maidening his first 3m model and completing his first F3F comp on a new hill all in the same day!

Anyway, herewith the photos of the day...

No comments:

Post a Comment